Friday, December 15, 2017

My Last Advice To You

Here we are, one year later. I keep having random thoughts like "at this time a year ago, I was still banded shut and couldn't eat anything solid" or "I can't believe I went through all of this and it didn't even feel like that big of a deal back then."

I'm so happy and relieved that it's over, but it was also not as bad as I thought it would be. Your mind is a very strong, flexible thing. After a few days in a tough situation, it'll adjust and you'll go through the hard times like it's no big deal. So don't worry. You've got this. It won't be as hard as you think.

Here are my last tips & tricks if you're about to undergo jaw surgery. I feel like these were the most important, and I've probably repeated some of them a million times, but I believe that you need to hear them again and again and again.

So here goes:

1. EAT.
This was the biggest obstacle to my recovery at first. I thought that my body would adjust to not eating much for the first week, but it didn't. I needed food but I wasn't hungry, and I didn't have the reflex to force-feed myself. I kept getting symptoms of low-blood sugar and generally feeling weak and very faint. Once I got a minimum of 2000 calories a day in my belly, I started feeling so much better. So if you're struggling, force yourself to eat. Get your surgeon to prescribe anti-nausea meds, work through the mental block of "I'm not hungry/I'm nauseated," and get food in your mouth. Try Ensure, Jamba Juice, Soylent, yogurt drinks. I know it's hard, and it takes forever to get that food behind your teeth, but you need to do it. Eat no matter what. And of course, keep yourself hydrated at all time as well.

2. SLEEP.
Sleeping is hard after the surgery. Don't be surprised if your body just refuses to go into deep sleep for the first few days. It happened to me, and it was very unpleasant and trippy. I had vivid, super weird "surface" dreams. It'll get better, don't worry. But make sure that you have a comfortable place to sleep. I had a shitty wedge pillow that wasn't really a wedge, and I regretted it. Get yourself a good, legit wedge pillow made of hard-ish foam. Make sure that it will retain its shape. Get yourself a humidifier and turn it on every night. Get yourself a jaw bra so that you can keep ice packs around your jaw at night to prevent your face from getting overheated on the first few days, and warm packs to relax your muscles later on. Get yourself something to calm you down while you try to fall asleep, whether it's your favorite TV shows (mine were Friends, How I Met Your Mother and Happy Endings), some calming music or even guided meditation. Sleeping will help you heal and feel better faster, so it's better to over-prepare yourself by getting extra stuff you may not need than not having them and regretting it (like I did).

3. DON'T RUSH IT.
Take at LEAST three weeks off work/school/whatever, if not a month. The brain fog was horrendous for the first two weeks; there is no way I could have accomplished any work. I started feeling like a semi-normal human being by week three, but even then, I tired easily. I wish I had taken four weeks because I definitely could have used the extra sleep. Week 3-4 is when I could sleep better, and that's when you can finally catch up by taking naps. Obviously, everyone is different, but if you can afford it, take a month off. If you feel completely back to normal by week 3, good for you! Use that time to do something for yourself for once.

4. KEEP IT CLEAN.
You won't be able to brush your teeth for a while. I mean, yeah, after a week or so you can brush a few of them with a baby toothbrush (if your surgeon says it's OK), but it'll still be too big to fit between your swollen inner cheeks and your teeth, and it'll hurt. Also, the inside of your teeth will be inaccessible for WEEKS. So do yourself a favor and get a Waterpik (#notsponsored). But be very careful with it; always keep it at the lowest setting and make sure to aim the spout towards your teeth, NOT your cheek (where the stitches will be). I'm convinced the Waterpik saved my teeth. Also, try to get some interdental brushes. Once you can open your mouth by like one millimeter, you can use them to scrape some of the gunk from your inner teeth until you can fit a toothbrush in there.

5. BE PATIENT.
This is the most important tip I can give you. Be patient with your body and your mind. You will most likely hate your face at first, but be patient. The swelling will take forever to go away. You may think it's gone, but it's not. It took me 7 months to like my face. Everything will seem bigger/uglier in the mirror just because you're not used to it. Trust me, your nose/chin/whatever is not that big. It's all in your head. Just be patient. You will also want to go back to your normal life after a week of bed rest, but be patient. Give yourself some time to recuperate. Take naps if you feel tired. Take the time to care for yourself. You will also absolutely want to start chewing food before your surgeon gives you the OK, but be patient. Don't risk it, it's not worth it. Sooner than you think, it'll be a year later, and a few extra weeks of liquid diet will be a blip in your timeline in retrospect. You will be frustrated when you start chewing, too. You'll think you'll never be able to chew normally again. You'll be angry at your tongue for not knowing what to do anymore. But be patient. It'll come back to you. Your muscles will adapt and figure it out. Almost everything you are frustrated about just takes time, so being patient is the key to getting through this surgery.

Good luck on your journey, and please never hesitate to leave a comment if you have any questions or concerns!


No comments:

Post a Comment