Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Day 34

I know I said I would only post weekly from now on, but I just had to do a quick update on my chewing adventures.

Today is only the third day, but I already see some improvements, which is really encouraging! I had some egg salad sandwich without the bread yesterday, and forced myself to chew through the boiled egg pieces as much as possible. It's still a challenge: food gets stuck between my cheek and my gums and it's too far for my tongue to reach without jerking my jaw in a way it doesn't want to move yet.

The main problem is definitely still the lateral movements, so I've been doing some exercises every day, opening and closing, moving side to side as far as I can, holding it there a few seconds, etc. I have more lateral movement on the left, which makes sense. My right joint seems to be the most problematic, clicking and grinding and hurting when I bite. But the pain is actually much better now that I've been doing these exercises, so I'll keep at it.

Yesterday, I also had some Safeway tres leches cake. It worked perfectly because it's super soft and completely soaked in milk. But honestly? It was too sickly sweet and it made me feel kinda gross after...

Tres leches with whipped cream

Today, I had more mashed potatoes, and for dinner, I had leftover egg salad and this time, I ate pieces of white bread with it. It's so soft that I thought it would be acceptable, and it was. I added some cream cheese on it to make it extra tasty. I mean don't get me wrong, it wasn't fun or really enjoyable, but I'm just glad I powered through the chewing. I feel accomplished.

After dinner, I thought I would try something I read on another blog: soaking a cookie in milk. I figured that if it worked with the cake, it should work with the cookie, minus the sickly sweetness. Since I made those delicious chewy chocolate chip cookies a few days ago, I've been eyeing them with envy and distrust because last time I tried to chew one, it hurt a lot. So I soaked it in whole milk and OH. MY. GOD.

Now this was enjoyable through and through. I didn't even take a picture because I practically inhaled it. It was totally worth it. And I actually chewed it, too, but it was much easier because of how soft it became.

If you need a pick me up on your chewing adventures, try that with your favorite cookies!

On a side note, I was shopping on the Target website and saw these limited edition Haribo Gold Bears flavors. Again, it's another one of those ever popular "vote for your favorite flavor" type of things. One of the three new flavors is watermelon, and I loooove watermelon anything, so I bought a bag. And then bought the other two flavors (apple and cherry), because they were a dollar and I didn't want to miss out just because I can't chew.



Is it weird that I'm already collecting foods to eat when I can finally chew for real in like... 4 months? Nah, I'm sure it's totally healthy. I'll stash the gummy bears with the limited edition Project 7 packs of gums I've been hoarding.

Don't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment