Sunday, December 18, 2016

Day 18

This morning was much better than yesterday: no jaw jerk! Yay!

I had resolved to sleep as much as possible today, taking as many naps as necessary to start feeling better. I woke up a few times in the morning but went back to sleep until noon. I'm not sure how many consecutive hours I slept, but it was a lot more than I've slept in the past 3 weeks! And sure enough, today I felt a lot more alert. Still fatigued, but not constantly sleepy.

I did have a migraine when I got up, but it happened once last week and it magically went away after eating, so I knew it was probably just because I had slept for so long that I went too long without any calories. So I made my banana chocolate peanut butter smoothie and the pounding headache was gone!

I didn't even end up taking any naps today since I didn't feel sleepy. I managed to make the bed and tidy up a bit, wash my hair, finish my video game. At dinnertime, my husband made some Trader Joe potstickers, and I blended my portion with some chicken stock and sour cream. Last time I did this, it worked perfectly, but this time I decided to add some steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots to the mix to add some veggies. Bad idea. The cauliflower didn't seem to blend well and there were lumps of it still in the liquid. I didn't feel like reblending everything since I had washed the blender, so it was a struggle to eat even half of the mixture. I'm sad to say that I had to resort back to Ensure. Oops! It's just so easy...

The cauliflowers kinda ruined it.

I also blended the pudding I made with some whole milk, and it was good! But it was basically chocolate milk if you think about it, hah! It just seems like such a hassle to make a batch of pudding when you can just straight up buy chocolate milk, or make it with powdered chocolate. No need to blend. Pudding will be nice when I can open my mouth though. At least the texture is different from all the liquids I've been having.

Today's photos were taken by my husband with the outside camera of my phone, so my head isn't all distorted by the lens. It looks a lot better (and closer to reality). I'll try to have him take all the pics from now on, although sometimes I wonder if it's really necessary to take these every day now. The swelling doesn't change much.



At this angle you can see a jawline!

Excuse the wad of wax on the top right. Speaking and smiling so much yesterday with my friends tore up my inner upper lip, so I needed to cover the damn hooks. Can't wait for those to be out.

I did have a little surprise today when I took another profile pic. My beautiful jawline seemed to have disappeared. My husband says it's because there's a little more swelling today, but I'm wondering if the other pics I took just had a different angle. I'm a bit disappointed, but at the same time, I know it's still too early to tell. My husband may be right, I might still have enough swelling to hide the jawline, but it's hard for me to tell what is "normal" and "swollen" at this point, since so much of my shape at the bottom changed.



We'll see in a few months I guess! I still love my profile, even without the defined jawline. The chin is so much less "weak" than before.

You can also tell I'm struggling a bit with acne/folliculitis. My face has been SO insanely oily, but it has gotten better in the past few days. However, I've had folliculitis since the surgery, but it's not new for me. It seems like I get it every single time I take antibiotics. I think it kills some good bacteria on my skin that keep whatever is causing folliculitis in check. It usually takes 1-2 months to go away. It's annoying, but it doesn't really do anything other than look bad and sometimes itch a tiny bit. It's even more noticeable after a shower, as you can see here:

It's only on my face, neck and upper chest.

Other than that, the stitches on my upper gums, the only ones remaining, are almost all gone. The areas where all the stitches were still feel pretty stiff though. I can't tell if it's because they're slightly numb, or if it's really just stiffness. My gums are still all numb except for the lower right part, and so is that same area I've talked about before. I sometimes get a little lightning shock in there, but not much else and pretty rarely. Hopefully it'll start waking up soon, although I'm dreading that a little bit, especially the gums. I'm worried it'll be painful.

Next week is my last week off before I start working "part-time". Most of my clients are off for the entire week of Christmas, except for one of them. But it's also one of my most productive client, so I should be getting quite a few small, urgent projects during the day. At least I get to work from home and I don't have to actually talk on the phone, so it should be easier. And it's nice that it's only one client to start with! The first week of January might be less brutal if I ease myself into it.

I can't believe it's Christmas in one week. I feel like I missed the anticipation and excitement of it all though, given that I was not feeling great for 2 weeks. I usually like to go to events in the cities around and do some fun Christmas activities, but this year it didn't really happen for obvious reasons. It's OK though, I'm kind of glad my surgery happened at this time of the year. It was an easier pill to swallow for my customers, since it's common for employees and contractors to be out at random times in December.

There's always next year, with a brand-new, fully functioning jaw! It's crazy to think that all of this will be way behind me by this point, and I probably won't even be thinking about it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment