Sunday, December 4, 2016

Day 4

Once again, I woke up with low blood sugar symptoms and feeling very frustrated with my recovery. I started feeling like I would never get better. I kept comparing my progress to other bloggers and feeling like it wasn't normal that I was still so weak and feeling horrible on day 4, while others were basically taking 45 minutes walk by day 4.

Forty-five minutes walk! I could barely stay upright more than 15 minutes...

The corner I was supposed to turn on day 4-5 wasn't happening, and it worried me. I suggested again that we go to the hospital and get my blood checked. Maybe I was having very low iron problems and just needed a shot? B12 deficiency? My heart rate was also pretty high and thumping hard whenever I was up, so I was wondering if there was some kind of blood pressure problem. I was really trying to find a reason for it. My husband called the hospital, and they offered us an appointment in the afternoon, or suggested that we go to the ER, but we talked it through together and decided to wait until the next morning for my appointment with the surgeon. I definitely did not want to catch some sort of virus and feel even worse.

I ate some Joylent again, but probably didn't even breach the 600 calories mark. Looking back, it should have been obvious that this was the problem, but I kept thinking that it was fine, that my body could go without much for a little while, and that it wasn't the culprit for all my symptoms. I think I was reading another blogger who went through the first 6 days only eating about 500 calories and was feeling fine, turned that glorious corner by day 4 and everything, so I assumed the same should apply to me. That was my mistake, and I warn you not to do the same. If you're not progressing the same as other bloggers you read, don't panic. We're all different after all! You may need more time, your surgery might have been longer, your body may need more nutrients than others, etc. Or, like me, maybe you didn't gain 10 pounds before the surgery and your body is literally running on empty.

If you're not feeling well, think of the essentials. Are you eating enough calories? Are you drinking enough water? Do you have a fever? Ask your surgeon about your symptoms and listen to what he's saying. Don't be like me, basically :P

During the day, I didn't feel too miserable. Not much nausea for once, just feeling exhausted without being able to sleep. I spent the day doing what I had been doing from day 1: lying in bed with my cat, watching sappy Christmas movies, Friends' episodes and other shows that make me feel better.

This is what my recovery station looked like. Here I am with my jaw bra!
I also tried to brush my teeth again, which made my jaw and stitches hurt more, but I didn't take any painkiller this time. I used a magic bag warmed in the microwave and it seemed to help with the tightness of my muscles.

Swelling was about the same as the day before, maybe a little less? It's hard to tell.




At night, I started feeling nauseated and clammy again, so I took some Zofran and tried not to feel too sorry for myself (and failed). I was also feeling gross in general because I hadn't even showered or washed myself for the past 5 days, but I couldn't imagine even sitting in the bathtub to get my hair washed by my husband. I was too afraid I would pass out. I resolved to do it the next morning before my appointment with the surgeon instead, if I felt better.

One good thing though is that I figured out I could drink from a cup at that point! It helped when I woke up during the night feeling like I had low blood sugar. I kept a cup of apple juice or gatorade next to me for that reason, and using the syringe wasn't fast enough. This time, I just carefully tipped the mug and was able to drink a lot more of it to start feeling a bit better.

I was eager to meet with my surgeon and figure out why I was still not feeling better.


No comments:

Post a Comment